Friday, September 14, 2007

The story of the cellular biologist

As I was writing the book a week and a half ago, someone suggested I move up a mention of the raw milk story earlier in the book so that it would appear in the first 60 pages. Since raw milk and raw milk cheese is kind of hot right now, I figured that would be a good idea.

So I decided to make Carl's roommate a raw milk cheese enthusiast. But I wondered, would a biologist who actually studies milk (of the bovine variety) dare to drink raw milk or eat raw milk cheese that had only been aged 30 days, against FDA regulations?

I needed a biologist familiar with raw milk to help. I asked my wife if she knew any biologists. My brother-in-Law Tim is a Biology major, but I needed someone more focused on cellular biology. Polly said, "Yes, I know a biologist. I don't know if she'll remember me."

A quick Google search and she found the woman's name. We called her. She answered. When I described the question of whether this guy would actually risk consuming raw milk and that sort of thing, she said, "This is right up my alley."
Turns out she knew plenty of scientists who drink raw milk and eat raw milk cheese. Turned out to be a great resource. Chalk it up to guided serendipity. I told her I'd send a copy of my manuscript as soon as its done.

No comments: