Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Anthropomorphism of What Ails You

In the past, they used to anthropomorphize drugs. To wit: Speedy the Alka-Seltzer guy. He would come out and sing about how he could settle your stomach.
















Now drug companies have mascots representing the ailment that their drug treats.



As far as I remember, Digger the Dermatophyte was first, in those awfully disturbing ads for Lamisil. Pictured is the worst part of the ad when he lifts up that toenail like a trap door so he could crawl underneath. Look closely at him; it looks like he has some kind of purple fungus on his back. Perhaps he needs to ask his doctor about it. He also has sharp teeth for gnawing on your nails.

Now we have a little glob of mucus named Mr. Mucus. Apparently he's married now. I guess he and Mrs. Mucus met in someone's sinus cavity. That's where I used to go meet girls.








A woman has made a felt stuffie (!?) out of a monster she claims was on a Pepto Bismol commercial. I couldn't find any mention of it any place else on the interwebs, though I did find this tasteless little number.

I am waiting for Senor Herpes, a little hairy man in a sombrero with cold sores. Or perhaps we could someday meet Jacques Itch (oh no I didn't!).

No comments: