Friday, August 17, 2007

Progress Report: With all of the first day of school events this week, I was still able to get some writing time in. I am crossing the 100 page mark on draft 3. Right on schedule for the mid September completion date.

At this point I have four people with agent contacts who have expressed an interest in passing my stuff on. This is great news. I won't have to go in completely cold, at least to these agents.

I'm working up my query letter.
I will post portions of it as I get it finalized so you can see how I'm approaching the selling of the book. It's kind of a tough sell, because while it takes place in a college town, I would not really call it an academic novel like Straight Man, Moo, or Wonder Boys. For one thing it is completely from the student's perspective, rather than the professors' point of view. It shares a setting with Moo, but without the midwestern mocking.

I am confident that if I can get the right agent just to read the thing then I have a good chance. It's possible some will dismiss it out of hand because the academic novel is viewed as trite. That would suck.

Enough navel-gazing for today. Sweaty lint. Eww.

No comments: